LGBTQ Child Custody
In cases involving LGBTQ parents, our Monmouth County child custody attorneys help to ensure your rights and your child’s best interests are protected.
Child custody cases are typically among the contentious matters dealt with in the New Jersey family courts. For LGBTQ couples, these proceedings are often even more complex. At Lomurro Law, we provide the trusted legal guidance and professional representation you need. You can count on our experienced Monmouth County child custody attorneys to defend your rights as a parent while protecting your child’s best interests.
Our Monmouth Child Custody Attorneys Provide the Experienced Legal Representation LGBTQ Parents Need
When parents get divorced or decide to no longer live together, determinations must be made regarding the care and custody of their children. Under the New Jersey Statutes, the court’s primary concern in making these arrangements is protecting the child’s safety and best interests. This holds true when child custody proceedings involve LGBTQ parents, but some of the legal issues involved can make these cases more complex.
At Lomurro Law, we act as a strong legal advocate on your side in this situation. Our experienced Monmouth County child custody attorneys can help address important issues that often arise in these cases, such as:
- Parental rights of adoptive parents: New Jersey is one of the more progressive states when it comes to same-sex adoptions. However, if only one of the parties is the legal adoptive parent, it could create problems in your case.
- Parental rights in cases of assisted reproduction: When only one of the parties is the biological parent, the rights of the other are at risk.
- The rights of ‘psychological parents’: Even if one of the parties is not considered to be the legal parent of the child, custody rights may be based on their relationship with the child.
- Subtle biases on the part of the courts: Unfortunately, unfounded biases and subtle discrimination still exists among some judges and courthouse staff. At Lomurro Law, we take the actions needed to prevent this from jeopardizing your rights to custody.
Protecting Your Relationship with Your Child
Child custody proceedings have the potential to impact your relationship with your child for years into the future. To protect yourself and your child, get Lomurro Law on your side. Our attorneys have decades worth of experience defending the rights of LGBTQ couples in child custody cases. Our Monmouth County child custody attorneys can guide you in creating arrangements under New Jersey’s parenting time guidelines, which are likely to include:
- Rights to custody and parenting time;
- Joint parenting plans;
- The rights of each parent on weekends and for overnight parenting time;
- Arrangements for school breaks and holidays, birthdays, or other special occasions;
- Determinations regarding legal authority in decision making on matters that impact your child.
Request a Consultation with Our Monmouth County, NJ Child Custody Attorneys Today
Lomurro Law is dedicated to protecting the rights of members of the LGBTQ community and their families in child custody proceedings. To request a consultation regarding how we can help in your case, call or contact our Monmouth County, NJ child custody attorneys online today.